Find A Trail. Start Your Search Here:

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Urban exercise hike


ALVORD LAKE
Phoenix

It was one of those Saturdays.  You know, those sacrificial weekend days given to yard work. While out  rushing around to the various plant nurseries in the area, I came across Cesar Chavez Park.  Even though I've known about it for years, I never really considered it a hiking destination.  However, when curiosity got the better of me, I made a quick detour between chores and discovered a very pleasant walking path and an unexpected, welcome leg stretch. The park is packed with ammenities like swing sets for the kids and is also part of the Arizona Game & Fish Urban Fishing Program.  The easy, paved walking path circles the 25-acre lake and has nice views of South Mountain, the Estrella Mountains and  plenty of water fowl.


LENGTH: 1.1 mile loop
RATING: easy, paved, barrier-free
ELEVATION: 1012'
HOURS: 5:30 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
FACILITIES: picnic tables, shade ramadas, boat ramp, fishing, playground, restrooms.

GETTING THERE:
From central Phoenix, go south to Baseline Road, go west to 35th Ave  turn south and follow the signs to Cesar Chavez Park at 7858 S. 35th Ave.
INFO:
City of Phoenix Parks & Recreation, 602-262-6111

Arizona Game & Fish Urban Fishing Program

1 comment:

Dwane said...

Hi, you have a great blog. As an Appalachian Trail thru-hiker I had to recently come off the trail due to family problems and a messed up LCL. With the time off I created a large free community site just hiking. Since you are a great writer I wanted to see if you would consider making a blog post about the site. I think if you would take a look at it at HikingHikes.com you will see that it has the potential to be a wonderful hiking community. I have no true way of advertising it without spamming and I'm not one to do such. So I'm sincerely asking that you consider writing an article about it on your blog.. If you do would you please email me and let me know you did so? Thank you and I truly hope you consider this.

HikingHikes.com